What are Humorous Speeches?
Humorous speeches refer to speeches that are made in order to entertain the audience. Most of the times, humour is used as an element to bring back the audience should they have zoned out, or to lighten the mood after a heavy speech or sometimes for sheer entertainment.
How to Write a Humorous Speech?
If you thought you could google up jokes, twist them and place them strategically in your speech and that would be enough to evoke laughter, you aren’t entirely right. While this may sometimes work, most of the time, it won’t.
Use experiences unique to you
A comedian friend once taught me the simple art of weaving humour. He said that the most authentic humour is the one that springs from one’s personal life experiences.
Since these are unique, it is nearly impossible for people to have heard of them and thus adds integrity to the write-up.
Understand the audience the humour is for
Apart from this, ensure you keep in mind the platform that you will be speaking on. Jokes on spouses seldom do good in a school set up and those on exams will likely bomb in a corporate meeting.
If you are picking a topic that is a burning issue, like that of climate change then you would want to add humour subtly.
Know where to place your jokes
In a typical humorous speech, strive to make your audience get two laughs within a minute. Don’t spend a large part of your speech developing the joke and then saying it.
Ensure that it is well-timed, and the punch lines are scattered and not bunched together.
How to Select a Topic?
There is no set way to select a topic. Pretty much any topic can be turned into a humorous one. However, ensure you remember your audience and their age, background etc. Usually, topics revolving around politics, friends, family tend to be the most picked up ones.
Humorous Speech Topic Ideas
- What should be the punishment for your dog when he loves your partner more than you?
- Why being a dog is better than being a human?
- Do doves still deliver messages?
- How are Pandas still fat when all they eat is healthy stuff?
- Why are cats the most attention-seeking pet?
- Why cow cuddling needs more attention?
- A parallel of how the Koala bear is similar to that clingy ex of yours
- Flamingos: The founders of Yoga (Natarajasana)
- Is animal horoscope a thing?
- Why is a dog more reliable than a security guard?
- Why should pet parties be held more often?
- Dogs and Cats are best friends but with trust issues.
- How to read your dog’s mind?
Why should pet-celebs be a thing?
- How to get the chill life of my pet?
- What you can learn about your office from watching The Office
- Everyone I Work With Is at Fault, Except Me
- David Weds Goliath: Mergers and Acquisitions for the New-Age Business
- Even Robots Need Blankets: Why Technological Dependence Isn’t Everything for Your Business
- What I’ll do When I Resign
- How to Lose a Job in 10 Days
- How Incompetent People Manage to Get the Best Jobs
- A Business Needs “Clerk” Kent, and Not Superman
- Chicken Soup for the Business Soul
- Why a Good Business Leader Needs an Oscar
- No Filter: LinkedIn is Now the New Instagram
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: “I Don’t”, said the Billionaire
- Mind your Own Business
- Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way
- To be Ethically Unethical or Unethically Ethical
- Today’s Business Leader is Tomorrow’s Villain
- Broke, again?
- Broke up, again?
- The merry realisation of adulting
- How to tape broken hearts
- The price you pay when you intern for free
- Sleeping with your eyes open
- Finding bugs in the plagiarism checker
- How to ensure your dog eats your homework
- Understanding your dissertation guide
- Severe implications of prom night rejections
- The delicate ask of required attendance
- The truth in positive peer pressure
- The truth of multitasking
- Your foolproof guide to bunking right
- Finding the “X” algebra lost
- How a not-so-smart student is always at the top of the class
- The first rumor about me in school
- Sugar-coating teachers will help during lab exams
- Beauty > Leadership skills while participating in college elections
- Teacher’s Day is the right day for seniors to bully juniors
- School exhibition is the right time to talk to your secret admirer
- Packing bags before the hour is the best feeling ever in school
- How to answer a prank call?
- The time when the teacher lauded the last bencher
- Yoga periods are nothing but laughter clubs
- The best one-liners to impress your teachers
- The time I got a haircut in school
- A group project is about that one person doing 80% of the task
- Being a bad dancer can make you a popular kid in school
- Best excuses that used to work in schools before
- How to flunk out of college?
- Best excuses to miss school
- What do teachers do off duty?
- Why does the school canteen have the best food?
- School trips can teach you more things than actual classes
- Have technical issues really increased or is it just the classic online excuse?
- Education abroad is all good until you have to wash your clothes
- How is Netflix teaching me more things than my actual teacher?
- How have mathematical proofs helped me in day-to-day life? They haven’t.
- How moving my classroom seat helped me make more friends?
- Memorizing the periodic table is a huge flex
- How has multiple college assignments made me master procrastination
- Organic chemistry has helped me draw perfect hexagons
- Plagiarism checks has made life more miserable
- Graduating college without Google is a very respectable deed
- How to kill your planet: a guide by humans.
- Similarities between Dante’s Inferno and Earth’s Inferno
- Why I’d rather use a time machine to visit the past than the future
- Climate change doesn’t exist. Well, neither does the future
- Why real estate prices on the moon will skyrocket by 2150
- Garbage Disposal vs. Human Disposal: Which is the better solution?
- The funny thing about dolphins
- How 50 years later, it will be humans trying to Find Nemo–and his family
- Your spirit animal hates you, and other things animal wished you knew
- Common sense is not common: well, good thing that greed is!
- Why human beings are an endangered species
- Sustainable development 101 for unsustainable dummies
- A chain smoker & an industrialized city have a heartful conversation
- Plastic Bags and Plastic Surgeries: a comparison
- Rising tempers and rising temperatures: an analogy
- How Eating The Biggest Pizza Slice Is Leading To Shortest Lifetimes
- A Guide For Modern Day Colonization Enthusiasts: America & Food Exports
- How To Go From KFC To TLC: A Guide
- How To Make A Pizza Without Burning Down Your Building
- What To Do When Your Boyfriend Likes Food More Than You
- Top 10 Foods To Definitely Not Order On Your First Date
- How Not To Bake A Cake: Survival 101
- How To Eat 100 Packets Of Doritos And Not Throw Up: A Guide For Wannabe Mukbangers
- How To Stop Eating Chocolate: And Other Diet Tips To Make Your Life Miserable
- How To Eat Chilli Without Bawling Your Eyes Out
- How Not To Die While Cooking A Meal For Yourself
- How To Eat Avocado Without Throwing Up
- Your Orange Juice Has No Orange: And More Facts To Make You Feel Stupid
- Survival Guide 101 For The Morning After Eating Indian Food
- Why You Should Eat Sweets: A Guide For Perpetually Sour People
- From Napoleon to Jimmy Carter: How the Great Leaders suffered the wrath of
- Did Switzerland acquire Harry Potter’s Cloak of Invisibility during both the World Wars?
- Had the Roman Empire been in place, ‘Just one more territory’ would replace the favorite one-liner of ‘Just one more episode’
- The amusing similarity between the Cold War and Sheldon’s technique of blowing people’s minds
- Once upon a time, ‘forks’ were considered blasphemous
- From Chernobyl to the Three Mile Island: Disasters that tell you how pushing your sleep hours is not the cool thing to do
- How sticking a nose into people’s business could be a go-to-motto for US Administration?
- Being a President during the Reconstruction Era must have felt like Hell freezing over
- What’s weirder? Ketchup on Maggi or Ketchup as a medicine? Revisit History to make a call
- Remember how the originals survived so many assassination attempts in the show? Fidel Castro shares a similar history
- How Ibn Battuta’s travel journey became a real pain for all the history students?
- Herbert Hoover’s reaction after the Stock Market Crash of 1929 was the epitome of ‘Hunky-dory’
- The amusing time when the US built a fort over Canadian Territory to prepare for war with Canada
- The ill-fate of Turkeys: From being worshipped to becoming a thanksgiving meal
- Pope Gregory IV and the War on cats
- Marketing is nothing but fooling the customer
- Marrying a marketer is giving into a manipulation for the rest of your life
- Marketing and finance departments are as apart as a husband and a wife
- Marketing is synonymous with selling a part of yourself every day
- A petition to stop email marketing as my spam can no longer take it
- Do I like the product or did I fall for the marketing again?
- What to do after giving in to the marketing tactic and realizing midway?
- Who should teach the art of persuasion: A marketer or a politician?
- A request for shorter customer satisfaction surveys to the marketing team
- How to not fall into the marketing trap?
- Do marketers also fall into marketing traps?
- Shops need a ‘Beware of the marketing tactic’ board
- Social media marketing or is it meme marketing?
- Similarities between Content Marketing and dating: You get a second chance only if the first one is a success
- Why is a marketer’s favorite drink: Brand-y?
- How to ensure that a marketing couple is on the same landing page?
- Do marketers still get into advertising if they don’t make a lasting impression?
- Will my marketer boyfriend break up with me due to lack of engagement?
- Do anti-social people also get into marketing?
- Does my marketer girlfriend really lead the relationship given her experience in marketing leads?
- Did Yoda really use sales force to get his first lead?
- Marketers love anything organic- be it food or content
- Marketers are bad at highway driving because they can only drive in traffic
- Marketers dislike twins due to duplicate content
- Finding a soul mate at a PPC agency is easier as people just click
- Making peace with the fact that room 404 was missing in the hotel
- Why do marketers like Tofu so much? (Top of the funnel)
- Does using Facebook while working count as working or shirking for digital marketers?
- High bounce rates no longer keep bouncing marketers
- How to not ignore the red flags while talking to a marketer?
- Democracy: The new stage for Pop Culture Icons
- The fake promise lexicon
- The PR battle during elections
- The petty perils of pedigree politics
- The ethical politician
- The dilemma to vote
- Why honest bureaucrats literally go miles
- Political humor- Still an Oxymoron?
- Censor over Sense in Politics
- Why memes can get you elected
- The Autocracy in Democracy
- The system’s gap of common sense
- The absurd math of NOTA
- When campaigns cost more than elections
- When educated people don’t vote and then crib
- The game of Monopoly is a mental sport.
- Running from responsibility is the only sport I play
- Why do South African sportsmen perform best in advertisements?
- Getting cold feet: A real problem for ice hockey players
- Hockey: Injuring someone is better than scoring
- Why is arguing with your spouse similar to wrestling?
- Football: A sport for anger issues
- WWE: A sport you are good at if you have a sibling
- Shakes-Spear: A nervous Javelin thrower
- A “Bawler” is a sad basketball player.
- Cinderella: A bad basketball player running away from the ball
- How does Messi’s mother ask him to clean the room?
- Penal-tea: The only tea footballers don’t like
- Do swimmers ever take a carpool?
- A red birthday card: An upsetting gift for a footballer
- Serving tables: An alternate job option for tennis player
- Fans no longer keep soccer players cool and here’s why
- New Jersey: The best place to get new jerseys
- Football: More like kick someone and not go to jail
- A parallel between playing badminton on a windy day and arguing with your spouse: You can’t get it right
- Soccer players definitely know how to use their heads!
- 7 Reasons why goalkeepers can’t save their work
- A good batter: Something that baseball teams and a tasty pancake both lack
- Boxing: A game to play with your ex
- How does the lack of goals make soccer similar to my life?
- Does the ‘scent’er spot really smell nice?
- Are ice hockey players really good at icebreakers?
- Does investing in skiing companies mean going downhill?
- Why do Jews love jujutsu?
- Why are pool-ups the best exercise for swimmers?